So, you are getting bored sitting in your car waiting for the traffic to clear and then suddenly a bulb lights up in your head. You have got a great app idea. Something that can solve a problem and enhance life for so many people. You get back home, pick up your iPhone and search in the App Store.
Damn! That idea has already been taken. And the process repeats itself over and over again.
Most people have this train of thought when they come up with an app idea. Then there is another group a little better. For them the thought process goes something like this
General App Ideation Process
- Light bulb moment!
- When app store has similar apps – Oh! I can improve on them.
- App store doesn’t have a similar app – Oh! I have the entire market to myself
- Fantasize day and night about all the cool features you can build on your app
- Start developing or hire a developer to build it
- Spend 6 months to make it perfect. Then some more to add some jazz.
- Spend 9 months on your app without letting even a cat know
- Publish on the app store and pray
- 5 people download your app – your mom, dad, girlfriend, a friend you bulldozed into and some random guy. Oh! I need to market.
- After 12 months and $10,000 spent – Oh! The app market is saturated. There is no money to be made.